Tuesday, April 11, 2017

Ten Years, A Blog

Ten Years, A Blog

14ymedio, Generation Y, Yoani Sanchez, 10 April 2017 — Dawn, the sound
of the keyboard marks the beginning of the day. I start a blog that will
make me experience the most gratifying and terrible moments of my
existence. I go out with the USB stick around my neck, climb the steps
of the Havana Capitol and mumble a few phrases to get myself into the
place with internet access exclusively for foreigners. It is the 9th of
April 2007 and I publish the first text of Generation Y… My life has
just taken a turn.

A decade has passed since that scene. A time during which I laid bare,
post by post, the events that mark the reality of my country and of my
own existence. I have filled the pages of this personal diary and left a
testimony of the eventful and intense years I have lived. A digital
logbook that could well serve as an impressionist portrait of Cuba at
the beginning of this millennium.

There has been a lot of water under the bridge since then. I discovered
the immense scope of the written word, the amplifying character of
technology, and an authoritarian power's lack of ethical limits. I owned
responsibility for every published phrase and not a few times paid the
consequences not for what I said, but for what others believed I said.

I earned a scolding from a severe leader accustomed to hearing only his
own voice, I spent more than one night in a jail cell, and I learned to
speak in code to evade the microphones placed in my house. I got used to
seeing my face in the official media surrounded by the worst adjectives
and lost more than one friend. However, the gratifying moments have far
surpassed all the punishments this opinion space has brought me.

I watched innumerable voices be born and gain strength, voices that made
the Cuban blogosphere a more plural and inclusive space. I met many,
like myself, who in their respective countries grabbed ahold of the new
digital tools to try to better their societies. I received the support
of my family and discovered the profession that I exercise today:
journalism.

Each text that has come out in Generation Y shows that personal path,
marked by obstacles and gratifications. If I could go back in time I
would only amend the moment when I decided to open this blog. I don't
forgive myself for having waited so long to express myself.

Source: Ten Years, A Blog – Translating Cuba -
http://translatingcuba.com/ten-years-a-blog/

No comments:

Post a Comment