Tuesday, June 26, 2012

The Law on Emigration and Its Effect

The Law on Emigration and Its Effect / Anddy Sierra Alvarez
Anddy Sierra Alvarez, Translator: Unstated

Raúl Castro spoke about the laws governing Cuban emigration, giving hope
to the citizens of Cuba that they would gain the freedom to travel, a
right enjoyed by all people throughout the work, Cuba being the exception.

The purpose of the law on emigration is to tie the hands and feet of the
country's professionals. Since there is no acknowledgement or incentive
allowing a worker to enjoy the fruits of his labor, the government knows
that it cannot open the gates since it would be left without the
productive workforce that a country needs.

This change to the emigration policy is still eagerly anticipated, but
time passes at the speed of light and there has been no adjustment to
the law.

The blows to the gut that the government receives from athletes is
nothing more than a response to the refusal to let the sports of boxing
and baseball compete in professional leagues; athletics and volleyball
are a different situation. They complain and humiliate the government
with "treason" (leaving the country), but it is the government that
forces their decisions.

Organizations with travel privileges such as cultural institutions,
which have seen an increase in trips abroad by actors and singers who
participate in international cultural exchanges, give the impression
that the situation for travel in and out of the country is improving.
But those who leave have the confidence of the government. They are the
95% who return to Cuba, with Carlos Otero* making up the remaining 5%.

But what the average Cuban wants is the freedom to leave when he sees
fit, not when the government decides he can leave.

*Translator's note: A popular Cuban television personality who
defected to the United States with his family while on a trip to Canada
in 2007.

June 25 2012


No comments:

Post a Comment