Wednesday, May 4, 2016

Jose Antonio Torres - “Only International Pressure Will Get Me Out Of Jail”

Jose Antonio Torres: "Only International Pressure Will Get Me Out Of
Jail" / 14ymedio, Yoani Sanchez

For background on this interview read: The Spy Who Never Wanted to Be One

14ymedio, Yoani Sanchez, 3 May 2016 — Last week the United States
Department of State chose Cuban journalist Jose Antonio Torres to lead
off the campaign for International Press Freedom Day, this May 3rd. The
initiative denounces the crimes and abuse against information workers in
several countries. The reporter was sentenced in 2011 to 14 years in
prison for the crime of espionage, and this week spoke from prison by
phone with 14ymedio.

Yoani Sanchez: Did you know that your name was included on the list of
journalists who have suffered an attack on freedom of the press?

Jose Antonio Torres: I did not know, but I know now. I want to thank
those who have made this effort to help me here in prison, where I have
spent five years and two months. The inclusion of my name in this
campaign is proof that the Cuban press, especially the critical press
[i.e. non-Party], is doing everything possible about the injustices, to
resolve them and to resolve them immediately I am very grateful, as a
journalist and as a human being, because what has happened to me and my
family is inhumane.

YS. Does a gesture of this nature from the US government benefit you or
complicate your situation?

JAT. I can't be any more complicated that I already am. Being a
journalist with the leading newspaper in the country, with work
considered excellent and even being congratulated by Raul Castro
himself, what happened to me makes no sense. Having a contrary opinion
in this country is, at times, very difficult, but there has to be space
for all opinions. In Cuba we have to resolve our differences.

YS. Have you experienced difficult moments in prison?

JAT. I never should have been in prison with people who have nothing to
do with my conduct, with kleptomaniacs, traffickers, assasins and
murderers. I should never be with those people, because I have not
committed any crime.

YS. What prison are you in at the moment?

JAT. I'm in the so – called "trusted program" in Santiago de Cuba,
which is on the road to Mar Verde. It is called Mar Verde Trusted
Work-Study Center Work – Study Center.

YS. What is your prison regimen today?

JAT. It is a regimen of low severity and I stay here for two months,
between 45 and 60 days, then I have a pass for 72 hours to spend at
home. I have been held under these conditions since April of last year,
when Barack Obama and Raul Castro spoke at the Summit of the Americas
[in Panama].

YS. Do you harbor hopes for a reduction in the sentence?

JAT. A reduction in the sentence is very difficult, I do not think they
will do it. Only international pressure will bring me out of jail. It is
precisely the press, my colleagues, who so far have been silent, those
who could do it, those who hold the key against intolerance.

YS. Are you still maintaining your innocence?

JAT. Absolutely. Here they have said many times that there are no
political prisoners. But if there are no political prisoners in Cuba,
what am I doing as a prisoner here?

YS. Have you kept doing journalism?

JAT. I have a long article titled The Weight Of Hope that I would like
to send to the American press. Also other texts from prison on various
topics such as the rapprochement between the United States and Cuba,
from the perspective of a journalist who is captive.

YS. Do you still consider yourself a man faithful to the Cuban government?

JAT. I consider myself loyal to my country. Cubans have been talking in
Miami, Washington, Madrid and France because they do not let us discuss
the issues we have to discuss in Santiago, Santa Clara, Camagüey and
Havana. To the Government I have nothing to say, there is a phrase:
decent people can not accept a government that ignores them.

YS. What journalistic media would you like to work in in the future?

JAT. (laughs) Maybe 14ymedio would be a good space. Anyway I have an
additional sanction that says I can not practice journalism… at least in
the official press. I would like to work as a correspondent for a
foreign press, I have no other choice. To publish in The New York Times,
El Nuevo Herald or Spain's El País, that is among my aspirations.

YS. Do you plan to leave Cuba once they release you?

JAT. Where we have to live our life is here in Cuba. I have a lot of
pressure on me, but I will do everything possible because it is right
here in Cuba where one can put up a fight.

Source: Jose Antonio Torres: "Only International Pressure Will Get Me
Out Of Jail" / 14ymedio, Yoani Sanchez – Translating Cuba -
http://translatingcuba.com/jose-antonio-torres-only-international-pressure-will-get-me-out-of-jail-14ymedio-yoani-sanchez/

No comments:

Post a Comment