Sunday, March 15, 2015

My Second Anniversary in Captivity

My Second Anniversary in Captivity / Angel Santiesteban
Posted on March 13, 2015

Ángel Santiesteban-Prats, Border Guard Prison, Havana, 8 March 2015 —
The dictatorship has tried to hide my voice for two consecutive years. I
think it has failed.

On February 28 I completed 24 months in prison, and I can assure you it
has accomplished nothing, that the punishment has not served the
purposes of the totalitarian regime.

They've put me through horrors, and I like to think that each one has
left me unscathed. If I remember correctly, I could see the fear in
their eyes for what they've done and the admiration for my vertical
posture and not wanting to live in silence under their boots.

I have never asked them when they will release me, because I believe
that other political prisoners have that right before me. Of course, I
have not received "time off for good behavior" where the years are
calculated as ten months if the prisoner behaves well.

Last year I asked my family for a cake to celebrate the first
anniversary. This year, as is their wont, the regime has intensified my
isolation in their constant failed attempt to achieve it.

I want to share with all those who love freedom of expression, as an
inviolable principle of every intellectual and the society in general,
this second year in prison, an honor that the despots in power have
given me as a gift.

Thank you and hugs to those who understand and support me.

Source: My Second Anniversary in Captivity / Angel Santiesteban |
Translating Cuba -
http://translatingcuba.com/my-second-anniversary-in-captivity-angel-santiesteban/

No comments:

Post a Comment