Saturday, December 24, 2011

Of Pardons and Forgetting / Yoani Sánchez

Of Pardons and Forgetting / Yoani Sánchez
Translator: Unstated, Yoani Sánchez

"Don't be naive," "You're going to be left with a packed suitcase,"
friends everywhere tell me, with the best of intentions. But an inmate
always dreams that the door will open, that the jailer himself will take
the keys and draw back the bars. Instead of immigration reform, the
highlight of what was announced in the National Assembly yesterday was
limited to a pardon for 2,900 prisoners. A subtle way of telling us that
real cells are easier to eliminate than bureaucratic ones, that a
certificate of release can be signed more quickly than the repeal of the
exit permit. I don't know if Raul Castro could comprehend the
frustration caused by his words yesterday, the discouragement generated
by the absence of the announcement his own spokespeople had predicted.

I put my suitcase back in the corner of the room, rearranged my plans
for Christmas Eve and called my mother to confirm that I am staying. I
imagine that in thousands of Cuban homes today they are celebrating
because their relatives will soon leave some sordid penitentiary. But I
also know that on this December 24th there are many who feel cheated,
once again deceived. How much time does government need to erase the
limitations on movement that it itself imposed on its citizens? Is it
possible that in this country the word "gradually," or the phrase "we
are working to implement this or that measure," is, in reality,
synonymous with "never." How can they continue to justify something that
no longer has any ethical or legal form to sustain it? When will a
presidential pardon arrive for those condemned not to enter or leave
their own country?

But I don't want the government's immobility to make me sad in these
days, nor let the stubbornness of our authorities spoil my Christmas
festivities. Instead, at midnight I will empty my glass, hug my son,
outline my future plans for 2012. For a short time, I will forget the
bars, erase from my mind the image of a General who grants indulgences,
who plays with the life of whole nation, and calls what is simply fear:
Taking small steps.

24 December 2011

http://translatingcuba.com/?p=13363

No comments:

Post a Comment