Thursday, February 10, 2011

Generation Y 'sighted from inside Cuba'

Generation Y 'sighted from inside Cuba'

p2pnet view P2P | Freedom:- A little while back, "What if Generation Y
is a government sponsored initiative (that will really have no impact to
change things) just so that the government [of Cuba] can give the
illusion of freedom of speech to the smarter part of the population …
false hope basically?" – asked Another Perspective in a Reader's Write
to a p2pnet re-post of Yoani Sánchez (right) then current Generation Y blog

"If the regime was so ruthless why is she still blogging?" – asked the
comment.

Here's a new Generation Y post >>>

Seated in the armchair of a hotel with my laptop open, I note the slow
blinking of the WiFi transmitter and watch the stern faces of the
custodians. This could be one more day trying to enter my own blog with
an anonymous proxy, jumping over the censorship with a few tricks that
let me look at the forbidden. On the bottom of the screen a banner
announces that I'm navigating at 41 kilobytes a second.

Joking with a friend I warn her we'd better hold onto our hair so it
won't get messed up from "speeding." But the narrow band doesn't matter
much this February afternoon. I'm here to cheer myself up, not to get
depressed all over again by the damned situation of an Internet
undermined by filters. I have come to see if the long night of
censorship no longer hangs over Generation Y. With just a click I manage
to enter the site that, since March of 2008, has not been visible from a
public place.

I'm so surprised I shout and the camera watching from the ceiling
records the fillings in my teeth as I laugh uncontrollably.

After three years, my virtual space is again sighted from inside Cuba.

I don't know the reasons for the end to this blockade, although I can
speculate that the celebration of the 2011 Havana International Computer
Science Fair has brought many foreign guests and it is better to show
them an image of tolerance, of supposed openings in the realm of citizen
expression.

It is also possible that after having proved that blocking a website
only makes it more attractive to internauts, the cyberpolice have chosen
to exhibit the forbidden fruit they so demonized in recent months.

If it's because of a technical glitch that will soon be corrected, once
again throwing shadows over my virtual diary, then there will be plenty
of time to loudly denounce it. But for the moment, I make plans for the
platforms www.vocescubanas.com and www.desdecuba.com to enjoy a long
stay with us.

"This is a citizen victory over the demons of control", says Yoanni on
Generation Y, adding:

"We have taken back what belongs to us. These virtual places are ours,
and they will have to learn to live with what they can no longer deny."

http://www.p2pnet.net/story/48657

No comments:

Post a Comment